Occasionally, I met some friends who asked, “Can I use WordPress.com after registration, which package should I choose?”. The first reaction is that they think that we usually say about WordPress website registration is to register and purchase packages from WordPress.com. Actually not, we usually say that WordPress website build refers to buying a domain name and hosting by yourself. Then downloading the WordPress software from WordPress.org to build the website. Today, I want to briefly explain the differences between WordPress.com and WordPress.org, and which way we should choose to build our own WordPress website.
Table of Contents
There are Three Types Of WordPress:
When you are new to WordPress, you may feel very confused. That’s because you can have three different types of WordPress websites. They all have their own functions, advantages, and disadvantages.
- WordPress.com : This platform is fully hosted by the WordPress.com developer team. In other words, to use this free software, all you have to do is sign up for an account and start publishing content. Everything else is handled for you.
- Premium WordPress.com : You can choose to upgrade your free WordPress.com account. Packages range in price from $ 4 to $ 45 per month, and include many of the more advanced features.
- WordPress.org : This platform is self-hosted. You can download the WordPress installation package from this website, and then buy your own domain name and hosting server. The WordPress program is completely free to use. With this method of building a website, you are also responsible for all site maintenance, including software updates, speed optimization, and site security.
This is just a brief introduction, let’s go on in detail.
1. Free WordPress.com
With a free WordPress.com website, all you have to do is focus on publishing high-quality content, and everything else is up to you.
The free WordPress.com website has the following features:
- Hosting, backup and site security
- Hundreds of topics to choose
- Social sharing ability
- Built-in contact form, comment system, image library, surveys and polls, and site statistics
- SEO optimization so that search engines can find and index your site in relevant search results and drive traffic in their own way
- A built-in XML sitemap helps Google bots better understand your site, which will help you rank higher in search results
- Limited customer service support and access to community forums
- Powered by a WordPress.com link on your website
Let’s take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of WordPress.com:
Advantages of WordPress.com :
WordPress.com is free to use and it provides a good starting point for beginner website owners or pro bloggers. This is a simple way to get your site up and running. Other benefits of WordPress.com include:
- It offers up to 3GB of storage for free. After that, you have to pay for a premium package with more space (the personal version gives you 6GB of space for only $ 4 per month, the premium version gives you 13GB of space for $ 8 per month, and the business version gives you 200GB Space for only $ 25 / month, and the e-commerce version gives you 200GB of storage for $ 45 / month).
- You never have to worry about registering a domain name, paying for a web host, or performing an update or website backup, as WordPress.com does it for you.
Disadvantages of WordPress.com:
Although the free WordPress.com site is affordable, there are many limitations:
- They place ads on all free sites and you can not make money. In fact, you must not monetize and make full revenue from the website in any way. If you want to delete ads, you must upgrade to a paid plan.
- You cannot upload a WordPress theme or plugin from outside. Even if you pay for the premium WordPress.com plan, you can only use their theme.
- If they think you have violated the terms and conditions you agreed to when you registered, they can remove your site at any time.
- If you want to run an online store, you need to invest in the highest-paid premium plan, which is ultimately more expensive than using a self-hosted WordPress.org website with high-quality web hosting. In addition, you will still be limited in design and functionality.
As you can see, even with the premium WordPress.com plan, you are limited in how your site looks and functions. This may actually limit online business owners seeking to grow and succeed.
If you decide you need more features but want to stick with WordPress.com, there are several advanced features to use the premium plan compared to the free WordPress.com.
In fact, premium WordPress.com is a hybrid between a limited free WordPress.com platform and a 100% flexible WordPress.org content management system.
For example, you can use a custom domain name, upload a theme, install a plugin, and choose your own host, but you still have to agree to the terms of service.
Available features depend on the package you choose.
Some of WordPress.com’s best known advanced features include:
- Extra storage space
- Free custom domain name for one year
- Access to free and advanced themes and plugins
- Social media integration
- Automated Backup & One‑Click Rewind
- Website monetization (share revenue with WordPress.com)
- Built-in SEO tools
- Remove WordPress.com Brand Link
- E-commerce functions
With premium WordPress.com, you get a lot of customer support. You can even arrange a one-on-one conversation with an agent to build your website. After that, you also have 24/7 access to live chat and email support.
Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of advanced WordPress.com:
Advanced WordPress.com advantages:
Advanced WordPress.com extends the design and functionality with the following advantages:
- Access extra storage space so your website can grow
- A low budget entry point
- Free custom domain name
- 24/7 customer support
- Integrate popular Jetpack plugin
Disadvantages of Advanced WordPress.com:
- Terms and conditions must be followed or your site may be removed
- Monthly plans can become expensive, especially when compared to self-hosted WordPress.org solutions
- You are limited to upload plugins and themes.
However, using an advanced WordPress.com website may be useful for some users. But for those looking for a flexible, affordable and fully customizable solution, even the premium version of WordPress.com is unlikely to have everything you need.
3. Self-hosted WordPress.org
WordPress.org is a completely self-hosted platform, which means you need to buy a domain name and hosting server to use it. That is, you can download the WordPress software for free, install it on your own hosting space, and use your own domain name to access the website.
Your web host is responsible for storing your website’s data and files, and passing its content to users when they visit your website. WordPress installation is very simple, and many hosting spaces now provide one-click installation of WordPress online. The website is completely hosted on its own host, so you need to maintain the website daily, such as updates, speed optimization, security, troubleshooting, and so on.
Advantages of WordPress.org:
With WordPress.org, you have complete control over your entire website. Not only you can customize the look and functionality of your website, but you can also:
- It’s free and perfect for beginners ( even if you need to pay for domain and hosting space )
- You own your website and all its data. (No one can take it away from you because they think you have violated the terms and conditions). You can also create any type of website you want.
- You can monetize and retain 100% of your income through your website. No income sharing is required.
- You can add free, advanced and custom themes, plugins and apps to your website.
- You can add powerful tools, such as Google Analytics (analysis), for advanced tracking index.
There are some disadvantages to using self-hosted WordPress.org:
- You must pay the domain name and web hosting fees. (although for wordpress.com also)
- You are responsible for your own website maintenance, speed optimization, site security, and other processing problems.
Which is better, WordPress.com or WordPress.org?
|WordPress.com is a hosting solution that lets you set up a blog or website that runs on WordPress.||WordPress.org is a self-hosted solution, which means you must have a hosting space or server and download the WordPress software installation to use it.|
|Your domain will bear the trademark of the WordPress.com subdomain.||You will have a custom domain name.|
|You no need to deal with any website maintenance.||You are responsible for all site maintenance, including backups, security, and updates.|
|Whether you are using the free or premium edition, you are required to create an account.||Requires you to create a separate web hosting account and install the WordPress software to use it.|
|You must display “supported by” links on your site or remove them for a fee.||It is not necessary to display the “Supported by” link (unless you wish).|
|In order to access advanced features, you must invest in a premium plan.||WordPress software is completely free and open-source, so you can change the design and features as needed.|
|Unable to upload plugins or themes; you are limited to use their own themes and plugins.||You can upload free, premium or custom |
WordPress themes and plugins to extend the design and functionality of your website.
|You are limited to the built-in analytics and statistics available.||You can install third-party analytics tools to better track your site’s metrics.|
|Although you can create an e-commerce store with the highest-paid plan, even WordPress.com recommends that you invest in a self-hosted solution.||You can easily create an online store using WordPress.org.|
The website built by WordPress.com is not very fast in some countries like China, Russia and it will load some files that are not accessible in these countries. You need to pay for some specific functions, and the final cost will be much more expensive than the WordPress website you built! !!
We strongly recommend that you purchase your own domain name and hosting, and then download and install the WordPress program from WordPress.org for free. This is the most cost-effective and freeway. You can use any WordPress theme and plugin, and you can build any type of website.
If you want to know what type of website can build with WordPress, you can read this article.